Saturday, January 11, 2014

Argument in 3..2..1...

So... does anybody else remember how I made that new years resolution, well I do, and I would like to say that technically I have not broken it... yet, I didn't actually specify a starting date. So I guess this means I am supposed to say something deep and thought provoking now... that's a lot of pressure guys, which means I am going the opposite direction (sorry, not sorry).

In lieu of any serious introspective thoughts today I am offering some very random and possibly boring thoughts I had on Tuesday. I chose that day because something very interesting happened, it was deemed too cold to go to school; I am just going to let that one sink in while I inform you that there was ice on the inside of my bedroom window. So naturally I will be taking this opportunity to lecture my imaginary audience about energy efficiency and insulation because you know everybody just loves to talk about that. Of course I'm not going to do that, none of you thought I was going to do that (right? you do still expect a tad bit more excitement then that don't you). Instead I will be filling you in on the current state of television.

Now I know what you are all thinking, "here comes another rant telling us about how TV used to be better and how now it just makes us dumb" and I disagree, I maintain that TV has always been making us dumb. Here's why, because although a lot of people will agree that it has gotten more brazenly inappropriate since (insert meaningless "landmark" in openly "dirty" television) I believe that what we watch isn't the problem so much as why we watch. Mark my words, I am not saying watch whatever you want, if anything I am cautioning you to do the opposite.

A quick perusal of the offerings of cable TV will demonstrate what I mean. Almost without fail the most watched shows rely heavily on themes that as Christians, heck as decent people we should be nothing if not wary of. Even the most innocent of shows now features multiple innuendos tucked away in each episode, why? Because they can, and because nobody is going to do anything about it, and I am not going to lie I LIKE watching TV, so who am I to tell everyone not to watch it? But regardless of how innocent it may seem it has struck me that we should not be so readily entertained by the morally degraded actions of our favorite characters. If you would not condone your children carrying out the actions you see on TV then why would you sit down in front of the idiot box and watch them play out for an hour? The hyper-sexual  crap that we stream into our houses at 1080p at prime time isn't the only problem. Even the shows that make a genuine effort to stay family friendly need a gimmick of some sort, because we all know that only the shows aimed at the lowest common denominator make money, and so there we sit watching shows that have plots which can be summed up as "ha-ha look at the silly rednecks" (I am looking at YOU Duck Dynasty). I know I am going to take flack for insulting the "role models" on that show but it is a clear example of a network taking advantage of the odd system we have where famous+Christian= infallible. And if you really examine the show most of the story line revolves around them doing some ridiculous and staged stunt that makes us laugh because... well at least we aren't dumb enough to do THAT! So I am joining the chorus of "boring" old guys with nothing to do and issuing a statement that will almost certainly be misapplied.

When you are watching TV just think about what it is you are buying into, is finding out if your two favorite characters will end up together really that important? Or perhaps this is the guy  who really wants to be a millionaire? Maybe you just HAVE TO KNOW how Sherlock survived his fall, and if it is that important to you then go ahead, but be wary, because nothing devours productivity and dulls your wit faster than letting the idiot box dictate how you spend your time. Television certainly isn't evil in and of itself, but the tendency it has to control our time, and steer conversation shows that it is more important to you than you think.

My final thought is to simply say this... think about how nice a good bookshelf would look in place of that TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave a comment telling me what you think!
I cannot wait to interact with you!